- This event has passed.
April 19, 2018 @ 8:30 am - April 20, 2018 @ 4:30 pm| $250
The BASIC course is a short course, held over 2 days, which covers essential and fundamental aspects of Intensive Care and is held twice a year in April and in November.
The course is designed as an introduction to Intensive Care for doctors coming to work in the ICU for the first time, but is also suitable proved popular with senior ICU nurses.
The course consists of course manual, brief clinically-based lectures, skill stations, e-learning and pre- and post-course tests. The course works on a cascading model with local instructors delivering the content after appropriate training.
Topics covered on the course:
- airway management
- acute respiratory failure
- mechanical ventilation
- common modes
- specific conditions
- haemodynamic monitoring
- management of shock
- severe sepsis
- interpretation of arterial blood gases
- transport of critically ill patients
- severe trauma
- neurological emergencies
- oliguria & acute renal failure
- cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- sedation and analgesia
- venous thromboembolic disease
- stress ulceration
- cardiovascular and respiratory physiology
- metabolic & electrolyte disturbances
More details available on http://www.intensivecare.ie/basic-course-2/